Exactly a year later and the summer heat has me thinking about saris again. The paisley shawls that I found for a shawl dress will have to wait for cooler weather, but the silk saris have a lovely handle in this hot weather.
|Pinned the sheer silk sari pieces, face together, to the blue lining,|
stitched 1cm seam.
|Kept the arm hold and waistline seams open.|
Turned it through, pressed and then sewed a 1cm casing channel.
|Front and back, turned through and pressed.|
Being careful to press on the lining side because of the gold trim.
|Pinning the two face together so the fashion fabric is a little longer than lining.|
|Hand sew the fashion fabric together with a very tiny fine backstitch.|
When you lay it flat it looks like this.
11 January 2012
Over time I have been collecting links to Regency-era garments made from Saris and Shawls. Adrienne Unger, a costumer from Sydney, will be teaching a workshop on how to make a regency gown from a sari at Jane Austen Festival Australia in April 2013. In the meantime though, here are a list of links to keep your internet connection buzzing!
|Dress made from a woollen paisley shawl|
- Gown made of cotton sari http://www.manchestergalleries.org/the-collections/search-the-colle...
- Gown made of silk sari http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/g/gown-made-from-a-shawl/
- Fashion Plate http://188.8.131.52/maciet2/map_zoom/prepare_visu.php?im_pos=15&collection_name=M5053MA_214X02X&collection_id=188
- Silk net gown in the Musée Historique de Tissu de Lyon. http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/reddress.jpg
- Fashion plate 1810 http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/co...
- Shawl dress http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/co...
- Fashion Plate 1801 http://dbase1.lapl.org/images/casey/full/01/rbc0068.jpg
- Tunic1806 http://dbase1.lapl.org/images/casey/full/01/rbc0179.jpg
- 1809 http://dbase1.lapl.org/images/casey/full/01/rbc0262.jpg
- 1810 http://dbase1.lapl.org/images/casey/full/01/rbc0282.jpg
- Dawn's images http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/DLuckham/Regency%20Dresses/r...
- Suzi's images http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Sistersuzi/1806ParisianSummer...
- Coat http://www.costumes.org/history/regency/ackerman1809to1828/promenademerino.jpg
- Overdress http://picasaweb.google.com/101938061106280749419/PrideAndPrejudiceResearch#5381911946177924210
- V&A dress http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O13827/jacket/
- V&A dress http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O74453/dress/
- Percalee Importee http://s269.beta.photobucket.com/user/DawnLuck/media/Fashion%20Plates/sari1.jpg.html
- 1810 http://s269.beta.photobucket.com/user/DawnLuck/media/Fashion%20Plates/sari2.jpg.html
Apologies if any links are broken - if you find any broken links or have any further links to share please use the comments box below.